9/11 2017

16 years on. Where do we stand?

Never forget.

And never forget Benghazi, either.

***

(Help received: UK Daily Express.)

About vmijpp

VMIJPP hails from the star city of the south, Roanoke, Virginia. A 1989 graduate of the Virginia Military Institute, he is a retired artillery officer in the United States Marine Corps, with time in both the active and reserve sides. He served in Iraq in 2004, and in Afghanistan in 2009-2010. He joined the magnificent OPFOR.com as a guest blogger from the now defunct but never uninteresting Rule 308, where he denounced gun control and other aspects of tyranny, and proclaimed the greatness of the United States. When the sun set on OPFOR.com, he migrated here with Keydet1976 and the others.
This entry was posted in History, The Long War. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to 9/11 2017

1. burkemblog says:

For a slightly different slant on our post 9/11 actions, here’s from today’s New Yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/another-911-anniversary-at-guantanamo-amid-hurricane-irma

2. DaveO says:

The New Yorker, AQ’s American outlet. I wonder why Obama didn’t close it? I wonder why California and New York refused to warehouse these poor, beset upon farmers and shop clerks?

3. burkemblog says:

DaveO–as usual, you do not surprise.

here’s another point of view on where we are after 9/11: http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/176325/tomgram%3A_william_astore%2C_the_superpower_that_fought_itself_–_and_lost/#more

I haven’t read it repeatedly enough to decide what I agree or disagree with, but Astore does raise some questions that I think many Americans ought to be asking.

4. DaveO says:

Thanks, it’s a curse I live with. I see Astore provides the same solution the communist-captured Left has offered since long before you heard of VMI: cut the Defense budget. How gas that worked out for us?

You served through the Hollow Army of the 70s, where the Army’s primary mission was to die in place in West Germany until everything went up in a nuclear cloud. How was that? Everybody dies. Glory Hallelujah.

I notice no one cut the budget insomuch as they changed the priority from combat to the search for the next Death Star, the next wunderwaffe.

There are structural problems, true. These are connected to the public trough, which is a bipartisan bonanza. One issue that is new is there is no War Powers Act anymore. We are back to 1914 in that regard. With the war in Libya, there aren’t any extra-Constitutional checks on Presidential powers.

And it goes on. And on. And on. Still, I would like to know why the Blue States don’t want anyone from Gitmo.

• burkemblog says:

Beats me. I live in a “red” state (>20 points for Trump) that didn’t want them, either. We prefer our terrorists home grown, I suppose.

On the Hollow Army–yes, it was. But it got better under the late part of the Carter administration, especially after the Desert One fiasco. Remember, too, that the reductions in defense spending then had to do with getting us ut of a postwar recession and general disgust with a military that “lost” the Viet Nam war. Things accelerated under the Gipper, to be sure. In 1973, I would have found it difficult to go to war with the unit I was in–a transportation medium boat company. But by the time I got to 1st Armored Division in 1988, the Army was vastly different–and that was the work of many hands. I think the Army that won the Gulf War was likely the best conventional force we have ever had. But I think Astore is right when he says that we have over-used the force we have in ways that are simply not sustainable.

And that, I think, is his real point–we have to shrink the military establishment in order to save it–it’s the tool of choice these days because it’s the only tool for foreign policy. And the more it’s used, the less reliable it is for when we’ll really need it. I gues we’ll all see what happens–interesting to live in the world’s longest political science study–250 years and counting.

5. slater says:

So the reason to close Gitmo was because of the original prison conditions. Those conditions sadly existed due to the draw down during the Clinton Administration. Now Gitmo is a world class facility. But why do we care if terrorists are in air conditioned buildings? We have gone soft.

6. DaveO says:

His real point is unworkable, unrealistic, and — at best — a rewording of the Vietnam canard of destroying a village in order to save it. Or putting a band-aid on a plague boil.

7. burkemblog says:

I think the interesting number from the New Yorker article is 41–that’s how many prisoners are there.We have a lot of infrastructure devoted to the care of a small number of people, in part due to Republican intransigence during the Obama administration. Your tax dollars at work–
    And we have many more people convicted of terrorism already in the federal prison system. I bet finding room for 41 more wouldn’t be a problem.

• DaveO says:

When did Republican “intransigence” ever stop Obama? Remember, he had a pen and a phone, and government employees more than willing to act on his vision and intent (IRS, anyone?). This so-called intransigence is a smokescreen.

8. Pingback: Change in 16 Years | In The Old Corps